THE DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHIC RECORD
Cross-listed with LIBR 579K
MAS and Dual students: completion of MAS core courses [Dual students cannot take LIBR 579G]
MLIS students: completion of the MLIS core courses plus LIBR 579G
GOAL: The goal of this course is to prepare students to manage, preserve and make accessible digital photographic records.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Link the creation and use of digital photographic records to the core functions and activities of the creator and make explicit such relationship.
- Develop and implement strategies for managing, preserving and provide access to photographs that serve the mission of the creator and the needs of the users.
- Present images online via search engines and exhibitions.
- Types of Photographs and their formats in Archival Fonds and Collections (comparison analogue & digital photographic records)
- Appraisal & Selection of Photographs (the relationship between analogue & digital photographic records)
- Arrangement of Photographs (the special requirements of digital photographic records with respect to the analogue)
- Description at the aggregate and item levels (the difference between analogue & digital photographic records)
- Selection and Preservation (comparison between analogue & digital photographic records)
- Access to Born Digital Images
- Legal and Ethical Issues