MANAGEMENT OF INFORMATION ORGANIZATIONS
Cross-listed with LIBR 504
MAS and Dual Students [who want the ARST credits]: completion of the MAS core courses
MLIS students: Should take LIBR 504
GOAL: The goal of this course is to prepare professional librarians and archivists to work effectively within a larger organization and to assume managerial responsibilities within their unit.
- Explain the nature and tasks of managers and leaders in information agencies.
- Describe skills of group dynamics and processes.
- Discuss the theory, principles, and practices of management in libraries and archives.
- Internal factors including the classic functions of managers of planning and decision-making, organizing, staffing, controlling and evaluating
- External factors such as the larger political context within which the library/archive operates .
- Personal factors, such as preferred communication, management, and leadership styles, and their effect on individual and team performance.