SCRIPTING LANGUAGES FOR INFORMATION PROFESSIONALS: INTRODUCTION TO PHP
Offered on an irregular basis
MLIS and Dual MAS/MLIS: Completion of MLIS Core or permission of SLAIS Graduate Advisor
MAS: completion of MAS core and permission of the SLAIS Graduate Adviser
GOAL: The goal of this course is to provide students with the knowledge and ability to write computer scripts using PHP, a server-side scripting language commonly used on the web to interact with and dynamically generate HTML code.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Write basic PHP scripts that process user input from a web form.
- Use PHP variables, arrays, loops, conditional statements, and operators.
- Create and incorporate PHP functions.
- Integrate PHP scripts with email.
- What is PHP?
- Server-side vs. client-side scripting
- PHP language basics
- Variables and arrays
- Loops and conditional statements
- PHP & HTML
- Extending PHP functionality – working with SQL databases, other scripting languages, and more