September Start Date – MACL Program
Supporting document deadline:
For admission to the program, a candidate must: *Please note Meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee you entry into the program*
For admission to the program, a candidate must:
*Please note Meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee you entry into the program*
Applicants are required to provide the following:
- The completed online application form with fee
- One scanned copy of a transcript from each post-secondary academic institution attended. Please scan and upload digital copies (.pdfs) of official required documents in the application system. These are considered "unofficial documents".
- An up-to-date CV or résumé.
- Three letters of reference from, in order of preference:
- Instructors that have taught you at university
- *Reference request emails are sent to your listed referees at the moment you submit your online application. Please note that if you have provided a free email address (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) for any referees, they will receive an email providing instructions for submitting a paper reference, as they will not be able to submit online.
- *References are due by the supporting document deadline.
- *Please note all reference letters must be submitted in English, or must be accompanied by a word for word translation.
- Copies of two essays as examples of your written academic work in English. If you are intending to complete a creative writing thesis as part of your program, one of your samples should be a creative writing piece you have written in the past;
- A personal statement (one to three pages) outlining your goals and expectations for the program;
- A brief statement of your area of thesis interest, with preliminary ideas for your thesis
- This last statement will help the selection committee with respect to understanding which of the four departments working in the Master of Arts in Children's Literature Program is likely to have a faculty member to supervise your thesis.
- The thesis statement should be well-researched and cited.
- If applicable:
- Proof of English language proficiency (see below)
- Photocopy or scan of Permanent Residence card (front and back)
- Proof of Name Change documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, legal papers)
Please visit the Graduate Studies requirements for documentation before sending in official documentation.
Applicants should also review the Prospective Student Gateway at UBC's Faculty of Graduate Studies for an academic profile of UBC, UBC admission requirements for graduate study, and details on the application process.
Applicants from a university outside Canada, in which English is not the primary language of instruction, must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language.
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language (UBC’s institution code for the Test of English as a Foreign Language is 0965)
- Internet-based Test - minimum score of 100
- Paper-based Test - minimum score of 600
IELTS - International English Language Testing System
- Must be the academic test
- Minimum score of 7.5 with no band less than 7.0
Applicants check their status in the application portal. Please always check the status of your application first before contacting the office. If you are concerned about supporting documentation arrival times, referee changes etc., please contact us.
Notification of Acceptance will not be made via the online application portal.
All applicants (successful and unsuccessful) will be notified of their admission status via email four to six weeks after final deadline for supporting documentation.