September Start Date – MAS, MLIS, Dual MAS/MLIS
Supporting document deadline:
The iSchool also accepts applicants for a January intake for the the MLIS and the Dual MAS/MLIS programs. Application deadlines for the January intake are as follows:
January Start Date – MLIS & Dual MAS/MLIS Programs
Supporting document deadline:
For admission to the program, a candidate must:
- Possess a four-year bachelor's degree or the equivalent from a recognized university in any academic discipline. We welcome degrees with areas of concentration in the sciences, humanities, social sciences and interdisciplinary studies, as well as dual degrees, double majors, and major/minors. Applicants holding undergraduate degrees in the masters degree subject areas (library science, archival science) are examined on a case-by-case basis. The admissions committee reviews degree transcripts closely for evidence of coursework showing significant theoretical and academic content.
- Have achieved a minimum overall average in the B+ grade range (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year level courses of a bachelor's degree. This is the minimum admission standard; exceeding this requirement will increase the likelihood of being recommended for admission. For students with a degree from a university outside of North America, academic coursework from all years of study is used to calculate academic performance. International students should check admission requirements for their country at https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/minimum-academic-requirements-international-credentials.
- Show promise of superior professional performance as attested by letters of reference and the iSchool application questionnaire .
*Please note Meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee you entry into the program*
Applicants should also visit the Prospective Student Gateway at UBC's Faculty of Graduate Studies for an academic profile of UBC, UBC admission requirements for graduate study, and details on the application process.
Applicants are required to provide the following:
- The completed online application form with fee
- One scanned copy of a transcript from each post-secondary academic institution attended. Please scan and upload digital copies (.pdfs) of official required documents in the application system. These are considered "unofficial documents".
- An up-to-date CV or résumé.
- Three letters of reference from, in order of preference:
- Instructors who have taught you at university
*Reference request emails are sent to your listed referees at the moment you submit your online application. Please note that if you have provided a free email address (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) for any referees, they will receive an email providing instructions for submitting a paper reference, as they will not be able to submit online.
*References are due by the supporting document deadline.
*Please note all reference letters must be submitted in English, or must be accompanied by a word for word translation.
*Please see the following Referee_Guidelines
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable (see below).
- Copies of Permanent Residence card (front and back) or Proof of Name Change documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, legal papers), if applicable
Please visit the Graduate Studies requirements for documentation before sending in official documentation.
Applicants from a university outside Canada, in which English is not the primary language of instruction, must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language.
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language (UBC’s institution code for the Test of English as a Foreign Language is 0965)
- Internet-based Test - minimum score of 100
- Paper-based Test - minimum score of 600
IELTS - International English Language Testing System
- Must be the academic test
- Minimum score of 7.5 with no band less than 7.0
Applicants check their status in the application portal. Please always check the status of your application first before contacting the office. If you are concerned about supporting documentation arrival times, referee changes etc., please contact us.
Notification of Acceptance will not be made via the online application portal.
All applicants (successful and unsuccessful) will be notified of their admission status via email four to six weeks after final deadline for supporting documentation.